Monday, August 22, 2016

Ben-Hur





 





Director Timur Bekmambetov’s Ben-Hur has superb Cinematography, thanks to Oliver Wood, superb Production Design, thanks to Naomi Shohan and superb Costume Design, thanks to Varvara Avdyushko. 
Unfortunately, the script by Keith R. Clarke and John Ridley is uneven, especially at the outset.

However, the biggest issue I have with this often sumptuous production is the casting of the two main characters.  It’s not that Jack Huston and Toby Kebbell aren’t able actors, it’s that they don’t have the “weight” to be featured in a $100 million production. I just didn’t care about either of their characters and kept thinking about who might have better played their parts to make me care.


And, although I’m big on happy endings, this production had a bit of overkill.

I can only give Ben-Hur a 3.1 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment