Monday, November 21, 2016

Manchester By The Sea











Writer/Director Kenneth Lonergan’s Manchester by the Sea is a well-made, well-acted film about a character for whom I had no sympathy or in whom I had no interest. 
 
Casey Affleck plays a screwup, who hates himself with good reason and keeps letting the world know how worthless he is and, maybe, has some possibility for redemption at the end.  Given what the world is going through right now, he’s at the back of the line of people I want to know or care about.
 
I know this film is getting a lot of support, but for me it was made at the wrong time.
However, Cinematographer Jody Lee Lipes did a great job in capturing the mood.  On the other hand, I thought Editor Jennifer Lame kept in a lot of superfluous shots.

I give Manchester by the Sea a 3.7 out of 5.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment