Sunday, August 3, 2014

Calvary



If you’re thinking of suicide, but haven’t built up to the final push or if you think there should be no joy in life or even if you think you’ve just been too happy lately, then Writer/Director John Michael McDonough’s Calvary is a must-see for you.

But, if you’re looking for entertainment, even of the erudite kind, be forewarned.  I’ve seen holocaust movies that were less depressing than this film.

Don’t get me wrong.  It’s beautifully acted by Brendon Gleeson as Father James and the beautiful Kelly Riley as his daughter Fiona from the marriage he had before joining the priesthood.  Cinematographer Larry Smith has some great images of Sligo County Ireland and Patrick Cassidy has created a fitting score.   But, why?  Why do we want to see characters Dante might have gleaned off Satan’s ass?  What’s the point?
The film made me recall a party I attended many years ago in which I got into a discussion with a psychotherapist about which religious and/or ethnic childhoods were the worst.  Of course, we covered Catholic guilt and Jewish guilt and several others, but, when I mentioned the Irish, her comment was, “Oh, they’re doomed!”

Calvary was created to validate that statement. 

See it at your own risk.

I give Calvary a 2 out of 5, but Gleeson and Riley get a 4 for their work.



No comments:

Post a Comment