Saturday, July 23, 2016

Star Trek Beyond






Director Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond gets off to a slow start, making me wonder when the drama, if not action, was going to begin.  But, once the action began, I kept wondering what the hell was going on.  Who was doing what to whom and why?

The Enterprise was put through impossible feats and I kept wondering what it could possibly be made of?   But, then, alas, it proved vulnerable.
The respite from all the incomprehensible action was the appearance of Jaylah (Sofia Boutella, the blade runner from Kingsman: The Secret Service).  She brought life to the film and made it worth watching.

When Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) was wasting time by being stupid in talking instead of acting against the nemesis Krall (Idris Elba) in the climactic battle, I began to marvel on the wonderful job the Casting Directors Miranda Davidson, April Webster and Aylssa Weisberg had done in matching the look of the entire Star Trek crew to the original players on the TV show.  


Then, however, Spock (Zachary Quinto) finds a photo of the original players and I was whisked back into incomprehensibility, wondering if  the current crew members were supposed to be clones of the past?  I  could accept that Spock looked like his father, but everyone!?

I can only give this head rush a 3.3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment