Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Impossible

I’ve never actually been to Thailand, but I feel as if I’ve just gotten back, having seen Juan Antonia Bayona’s masterpiece The Impossible, which is based on a family that suffered through the 2004 tsunami that hit the country’s southern coast and took the lives of nearly a quarter million people in 14 nations.







I wasn’t expecting to see such an incredibly good film, but I should have known better since, after all, it stars the woman I consider to be the most courageous actress in filmdom today…Naomi Watts.  Here, again, she gives a performance that is worthy of an Oscar nomination.
Kudos, also, go to Ewan McGregor, who plays her husband, and Tom Holland, who plays her eldest son. 

 
But, equally responsible for this amazing work written by Sergio Sanchez is the Spanish crew led by Director Bayona and perfected by Elena Ruiz and Bernat Vilaplana’s outstanding editing that put the audience into the picture and swept it along without let up until the very end.

 
The only “complaint” is that I saw The Impossible in what would be consider one of New York’s art houses.  All well and good, but this film should be in the theaters that draw the biggest audiences.  It is one of the best films of the year.
I give The Impossible a 5 out of 5.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment