Monday, June 26, 2017

The Beguiled









Writer/Producer/Director Sophia Coppola’s The Beguiled is a beautifully shot (Cinematographer Philippe Le Sourd), beautifully designed (Production Designer Anne Ross), wonderfully costumed (Stacey Battat) drama with fine performances by Nicole Kidman, Colin Farrell, Elle Fanning, Kirsten Dunst and Angourie Rice. 
 
However, Coppola’s story left me cold.  

Farrell, a wounded Union soldier, turns up a woman’s school on Confederate turf.  He is taken in and healed, but causes sexual tension among the young women and, ultimately, losses a leg for his actions.  And, that’s for starters.

Colin’s character had no particular interest for me, so I really didn’t care what happened to him.  And, only the youngest of the girls at the school were worth caring about either.  So, I wasn’t beguiled.

I give The Beguiled a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment