Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood









About two-thirds of Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood could be summed up as pretty pictures, thanks to Cinematographer Robert Richardson, accompanied by groans, spitting (them) and yawning (me).

I held off seeing this film for the longest time because I was under the impression it somehow dealt with the killing of Sharon Tate by Charles Manson and his gang; an event I lived through.

The good news is that the film is a fiction that ends hours before that grisly event occurred.  And, the last sequence is very exciting, making sitting through the first few hours somewhat worthwhile. 

The question is WHY?  What’s the point of blending reality with this fiction, which is only somewhat interesting.



The bigger WHY? is why the Critics Award went to this as the Best Dramatic Film of the Year?  Talk about insanity!

The acting by Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio, as well as much of the cast is excellent, but, for the most part, the script sucks.  

I felt I was hoodwinked into seeing a phony film and can only give Once Upon A Time In Hollywood a 3.6 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment