Monday, December 30, 2019

Little Women










If you’ve read Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women, then Writer/Director Greta Gerwig’s screen version may well be your favorite movie of the year.

There are exceptional performances by the inimitable Soairse Ronan, as well as by Laura Dern, Eliza Scanlen, Timothée Chalamet and a solid supporting cast.

Cinematographer Yorick Le Saux’s images are exquisite, Production Designer Jess Gonchor’s sets are fabulous and Designer Jacqueline Durrans’ costumes are simply beautiful. 

However, while I admit I was looking forward to what I hoped would be my favorite film, it was Gerwig’s script that disappointed me.

Since I had not read the novel, I was often trying to figure out who was whom and what was happening.  What’s more, the initial cutting back and forth in time, not only didn’t help in that regard, but seemed a big mistake to me.

Still, there is more than enough to please and I give Little Women a 4.4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment